Notes From The Field

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Klamath Basin...

Nana and I had the opportunity to visit the Klamath Basin and it's numerous wildlife refuges for some winter raptor photography. This area hosts the largest concentration of Bald Eagles in the lower 48 states during the winter who feed upon the millions of waterfowl who pass through on the Pacific Flyway...


Mt. McLoughlin rises above the Klamath River while two Bald Eagles (1 mature, 1 immature) rest on the bank...


Ferruginous Hawk n flight...


Bald Eagle guards its nest...


Two Bald Eagles at the nest...


Bald Eagle...


Bald Eagle in flight...


Mt. McLoughlin towers over the willows...

I was surprised at the numbers of waterfowl this year - they appeared to be quite less than in others years I have gone. Don't get me wrong, there were lots of birds but I did not see the hundreds of thousands of snow geese that I have seen in the past...

All in all though, a great day of photography and bird watching!

Bill

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home